Ye shall be free indeed! Part II

It's Free Comic Book Day!

I actually had a wedding today so I wasn't expecting to make it out in time to get anything. It didn't bother me too much because there's only one book where Superman makes an appearance so no loss if I miss out. It looks a little creepy anyway so perhaps it's for my good.
But late morning I needed to run some wedding errands while my wife was working on some stuff at home. So of course I took some time to swing by my local comic shop. (Word to the wise: added to the list of errands was picking up flowers for my wife as a thank you for letting me run off for free comics.)

I was half expecting all the free comics to be gone by the time I got there, especially this Future's End book because it is the premier title previewing a new major DC series. But it is a big shop in a low traffic area, and they had the Superman comic left.

In hind sight, kinda wish they didn't. The story is set 35 years in the future where "Brother Eye" has turned the majority of the superheroes into zombie cyborg bugs. The remaining superheroes are losing the final battle so they send future Batman, Terry McGinnis, back in time to prevent this terrible future from happening.

Now I love a good dystopian future set right as much as the next guy, and I understand they were really setting the hopelessness of it all.  While I was warned on the cover that it was rated T for TEEN3 pages in this was more gore and human destruction than I needed to see. (FYI I'm not showing those pages here.)
Green Lantern, John Stewart, sums up my thoughts on evil Superman.
So after a bit of thought I decided to pitch the book because it wasn't worth it for me. Just because a story is available doesn't mean you should look at it. 

As Jesus taught "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!" Matthew 6:22-23.

It brings to the forefront a reminder of the ultimate difference between Batman and Superman. It's not gadgets verses superpowers or man verses alien. While Batman and Superman both fight for good, the primary difference between the two is that Batman uses the darkness as an ally whereas Superman fights with the point of standing out for good.

As a Christian I am not called to fight fire with fire, but to bring light to the darkness. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

This principle is why I am compelled to prefer Superman over Batman.

As I looked around at the other free comic books I found another Superman freebie. While not a new title in anyway, it perfectly shows this contrast to the Batman cover above.


Oh, did I mention I also picked up Action Comics 500 and a new longbox for 25% off? Free Comic Book Day is moving up my list of favorite holidays.

All comic panels in this post are from
Free Comic Book Day Future's End #0
Artist: Ethan Van Sciver